Monday, July 5, 2010

The best elective of all time

It seems Germany isn't demolishing teams solely because of the Pele'-esque Miroslav Klose. Hah just kidding. A large amount of their success should be attributed to the research done by German college students. Team Germany had these students track every single game played by each player on all 31 other World Cup Teams.

That fluky goal scored from the goal kick against England? Seems Germany knew Terry's tendency to push too far up the field. Germany basically has an encyclopedia on each player's PK tendencies/free kick tendencies/dribbling moves, etc. Pretty sweet idea.

Oh, and the man with the wisdom to start such a program? Future US coach and California's own Jurgen Klinsmann. Click the dirty tackle link on the right, and scroll down. It's a really good article, and I'm having trouble linking it.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I read that too.... Can't say I am surprised by it. Either way I don't see the Germans winning any more games..I think they've peaked early. But if they beat Spain by 4 to something they will have my respect.

    ReplyDelete